Friday, February 16, 2007

Foulke's Joke: $5 Million? No Thanks.

Keith Foulke will never be able to top his great performance in the 2004 postseason and throwing the final pitch of the World Series. That's because today he's going to announce his retirement from baseball; this, after signing a $5 million dollar contract to contend for the Cleveland Indian's closer job.

"I'm not going to be a middle bullpen, 5.00 ERA guy," Foulke told reporters at the Boston Globe. "Either I can come back and be a dominant pitcher, or I'll take it to the house." Apparently he felt discomfort in his throwing elbow during his first day of spring training, and then and there decided to shut himself down. I was a huge fan of Foulke and his finesse style of pitching. I used to get chills watching him throw a fastball for strike one, another fastball for strike two, and then his famous changeup for strike three. I can't count how many times I saw that happen -- baseball's three and out -- yet it never got old. I'm sorry things turned out this way for Foulke, and I hope he finds success in whatever he decides to do.

No comments: